Read or write operation to encrypted file not completed because file has not been opened for data access

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Dropscone82

Read or write operation to encrypted file not completed because file has not been opened for data access

#1 Post by Dropscone82 »

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem with an HDD that is no longer accessible. I'd like to point out that I'm not a skilled technician when it comes to computers, but I know enough to assemble and install my own PC.

Situation: I wanted to do a fresh install on my PC (new C-drive) so I copied the files I wanted to keep onto a separate HDD (4TB, drive letter H). After the fresh install I started copying the data back to the PC, 1 folder took particularly long and for some reason it had stopped during the process (without my intervention). After the PC rebooted (on it's own) the H-drive was no longer accessible, I received this error:

I tried running chkdsk H: /f /r /x, but it stopped due to an "unspecified error". I downloaded testdisk and let it analyse the disk (took almost 4 full days) and it found 2 partitions, both with same "start" and same file list, but different size. Both were marked D(deleted), so I marked the biggest as primary, the NTFS were both intact but not identical, I copied the boot to the backup boot.

After this the drive was still not accessible in windows, but in testdisk I could see the fileslist. I then tried to mount the disk on Ubuntu but also got the message that the disk needed to be repaired. Trying to repair it under Ubuntu resulted in this error:

Does anyone know what else can be done to repair this disk? There are some folders that I don't really mind to lose (but I'd rather not) because I can download them again, but there are also pictures I took that I don't have a backup. Yes I know it's stupid, but I had 2 drives in mirror prior to the fresh install, I formatted those to get rid of any clutter or undesired files and put everything back, but I never got to that last point.

recuperation

Re: Read or write operation to encrypted file not completed because file has not been opened for data access

#2 Post by recuperation »

Is your external drive encrypted?

Dropscone82

Re: Read or write operation to encrypted file not completed because file has not been opened for data access

#3 Post by Dropscone82 »

not that I know off. 1 of the folders that I copied to it was encrypted, by accident I must add. I wanted to share that folder over my home network and my noob ass probably clicked yes when it asked to encrypt. So normally the rest of the drive should not be encrypted, just the one folder.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

"it asked to encrypt"

Who is it?
Which encryption do you use?

Dropscone82

#5 Post by Dropscone82 »

I honestly have no idea how to know what kind of encryption. I wanted to share the folder on my home network, so I right-clicked (windows 10), chose properties, went to sharing tab, and clicked "share". after I did that, windows asked me if I wanted to encrypt the folder. some of the content got copied to my new pc before the drive failed, if I check there and click on "network and sharing centre", the option "use 128-bit encryption to help protect file sharing connections" is marked as active.

Does this help? is there some other way I could check what kind of encryption?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

I was not aware of a ready-to-use encryption feature in Windows 10.

Please post your Testdisk log file.

Dropscone82

#7 Post by Dropscone82 »

I hate to pull up the "noob"-card again, but.....

I choose "create" at the start of testdisk, where will I find the log? Because I don't see it in the testdisk-folder.

recuperation

#8 Post by recuperation »

Sorry, I am a Windows 10 "noob".
I am pretty sure there is a search function that you can use.