Failed to recover content from hard drive in PVR

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Norwegianwood

Failed to recover content from hard drive in PVR

#1 Post by Norwegianwood »

3.1.2021 18:06 UTC+1: This post was splitted from its initial thread as it contains a new issue.
Advice Please:

I have a HDD that I've removed from my PVR.
I cant view its recording, and it wants me to format the drive, which I declined.
So I guess the partition and/or FAT are damaged.
It uses a proprietary FAT/OS, eg: not Window etc

If I put the drive in my external PC Caddy, the drive is not shown in Windows Explorer.
In Disk Management, the the drive is shown as: Disk 2 Unknown < Not Initialised < Unallocated
And I cant list it via the: Command Prompt.

I believe the OS uses FAT 24, possibly a non standard proprietary version of FAT, but I cant substantiate that because I cant read the drive.

I've downloaded TestDisk:
Q1: Do I also need to download PhotoRec, or is this included in the TestDisk download ?
...because it includes these 2 files: photorec_win.exe / qphotorec_win.exe

Q2: Should I be using TestDisk or PhotoRec to repair this drive and recover my TV video recordings?

I've ran TestDisk:
and it list my unreadable drive.

Many thanks.

recuperation

Re: Failed to recover content from hard drive in PVR

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please post new issues in separate threads so that other users have a chance to find the subject based on a good title!

Your drive from the PVR probably has a proprietary partition/file system layout and is most likely encrypted.
Neither Testdisk nor Photorec will help.

Norwegianwood

#3 Post by Norwegianwood »

recuperation wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 18:17 Please post new issues in separate threads so that other users have a chance to find the subject based on a good title!

Your drive from the PVR probably has a proprietary partition/file system layout and is most likely encrypted.
Neither Testdisk nor Photorec will help.
Thanks for your reply:

Sorry for my post error.

a: I don't believe it's encrypted.
b: I haven't attempted to recover/repair anything yet using TestDisk.

...as I said above:
I've ran TestDisk, and it lists my PVR drive.

But before I proceed can you clarify:
Q1: Do I also need to download PhotoRec, or is this included in the TestDisk download ?

Q2: Should I be using TestDisk or PhotoRec to repair this drive and recover my TV video recordings?

Many thanks.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Norwegianwood wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 16:59 I believe the OS uses FAT 24, possibly a non standard proprietary version of FAT, but I cant substantiate that because I cant read the drive.
What is your belief based upon?

You found Photorec.

Photorec does not repair - it recovers. TestDisk will find standard partition table types and standard file systems - it won't help you on "FAT24".
It won't help you if everything is proprietary.

Norwegianwood

#5 Post by Norwegianwood »

recuperation wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 21:47
Norwegianwood wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 16:59 I believe the OS uses FAT 24, possibly a non standard proprietary version of FAT, but I cant substantiate that because I cant read the drive.
I was told that it was FAT24 by someone who had this problem before, but I cant find any online evidence that FAT24 exists.
Is it common that manufacturers will create their own versions of FAT etc?

You found Photorec.

Photorec does not repair - it recovers. TestDisk will find standard partition table types and standard file systems - it won't help you on "FAT24".
It's not important that I recover the original file system, as I just want to recover the recordings onto my PC.
So can I recover the recordings using a regular FAT, eg: FAT32?
And is that possible with TestDisk/Photorec or any other software ?
Or can the recordings only be recovered by recovering the original partition & FAT first?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

Norwegianwood wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 16:19
recuperation wrote: 03 Jan 2021, 21:47
I was told that it was FAT24 by someone who had this problem before, but I cant find any online evidence that FAT24 exists.
Your best bet is to ask "someone" for instructions on recovery.

Is it common that manufacturers will create their own versions of FAT etc?
I have no idea.
It is common that PVR manufacturers care about keeping the recordings in their harddisk prison, preventing them from reaching the free digital world outside.

You found Photorec.

It's not important that I recover the original file system, as I just want to recover the recordings onto my PC.
If you don't care about metadata and undammaged files just ignore the file system.
So can I recover the recordings using a regular FAT, eg: FAT32?
Not necessarily. If the video files are encrypted you might recover them but not replay them.

My recommendation is to ask "someone" about how to recover your videos and report the findings here.