NTFS mount problem Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
smjt2000

NTFS mount problem

#1 Post by smjt2000 »

I have an external hard drive which is my laptop HDD that replaced with SSD and I'm using it as external hard drive.
it has two NTFS partitions, because I'm not connect it to any windows computer I decide to change the partition format to EXT4. it's my idea to do that:
install gparted, create a new partition with the free space of sdb1, then move some data to the new partition and resize partitions again and again until I just have an EXT4 partition.
I made two steps in gparted, 1:resize the sdb1, 2:create new EXT4 partition.
I got error at 100% of first step.

now I can't mount the first partition in Linux. I tried ntfsfix it shows operation finished successfully but really nothing happened.
when I connect it to windows to use chkdsk, windows detect that it's connected but the external drive is not showing in This PC(My Computer).
in disk management I see the hard drive but none of partitions has a letter(D, F, ...). if I assign a drive letter and use chkcsk D: /f I got this error

Code: Select all

The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
I decide to use testdisk. I booted to a live Lubunt, installed testdisk and run it. in partition table file selection EFI GPT is detected but it shows me wrong partitions so I selected intel and partitions are correct.
I selected deep search and it took about 4 hours, when I back and check the laptop I see something like this in my terminal invalid FAT boot sector

I need my data in that partition, it's a 380 GB partition and about 200 GB is full. it's important to first access to data and then change the partition format.

recuperation

Re: NTFS mount problem

#2 Post by recuperation »

Thank you for telling the readers of the forum this interesting story. Your contribution is a rare event because people typically ask a question when posting here.

smjt2000

Re: NTFS mount problem

#3 Post by smjt2000 »

recuperation wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 19:31 Thank you for telling the readers of the forum this interesting story. Your contribution is a rare event because people typically ask a question when posting here.
The question is how to access to data in that partition?
now it's solved, I moved files in the partition with TestDisk.