Incorrect disk size, unable to use SATA

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
OrangeSunnyboy

Incorrect disk size, unable to use SATA

#1 Post by OrangeSunnyboy »

Hey everyone,

I have a similar problem to ennyoueffsea that I'm hoping to get some help with. I have a 500Gb WD elements portable HDD (ADBABV5000ABK-00) which has inexplicably stopped working. Windows explorer and Chkdsk are able to transiently recognise that there is a HDD of some description connected however explorer prompts me to format the disk and chkdsk was unsuccessful. Recovery programs like Recuva aren't able to sense the drive at all.

In any case, when I ran testdisk, the program gave an erroneous HDD capacity (2199 GB/2047 Gib). Upon googling this phenomenon, I discovered that the solution is to plug the drive in via SATA, however, when I popped the enclosure of the hard drive open I discovered that there is no SATA port and that the micro usb port is in fact permanently affixed to the hard drive.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what my next step should be (barring a data recovery service)?
I considered purchasing a powered USB hub but I don't think that will remedy the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect disk size, unable to use SATA

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Unfortunately data recovery service is the only solution when a wrong disk capacity is reported.