Rebuilding Partition Table?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
epikdraken

Rebuilding Partition Table?

#1 Post by epikdraken »

I'm not sure if I'm using this program correctly...but...after trying to find out what is wrong with my computer..I think I've narrowed it down to a faulty partition table. My hard drive is new..it's 1 TB SATA..I suppose something went wrong when I tried installing Ubuntu. I never did get it working on this hard drive. I believe the first try..I installed it as if it was a windows application, but it would would never boot. It wouldn't uninstall either...I guess this is when I screwed up the partition table somehow...I gave up on fixing it for a while until I had to re-install windows anyway...which removed the Linux OS completely...or so I thought...so I tried a few times to install Linux in a partition...but I kept getting strange errors...all it would let me do was erase the entire disk and install Linux as the only operating system. After doing alot of reading I concluded that I've probablly seriously screwed up my drive's partition tables...I don't want to recover anything...I want to clear it...I think? How do I do that and what are the consequences? I don't want to eliminate the drivers or screw it up to were it is unbootable...right now I just have Windows installed. I never successfully installed Linux or even made a partition for Linux on this hard-drive....yet i'm doing the scan...and this is what the results are showing so far:
Yeah...I'm confused. I never had this sort of trouble with my old computer/hard-drive. With what I've been reading though, this sounds like a pretty common problem...just haven't come across a solution...at all...