Step by step instructions

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
taravasya

Step by step instructions

#1 Post by taravasya »

Hello!
I have WD 3Tb HDD, on which unexpectedly corrupted filesystem (The drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?) :cry:
I did not do any action that could potentially harm the file system of the hard disk. Do not formatted. Do not delete or create partitions.
Entire hard drive was originally distributed as a single NTFS partition and quite long functioned without any problems (approximately 2-3 months).
But now I have this errore: (The drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?)
-------------
I tried to recover the files with two commercial programs, but unfortunately they are restored only a small part of the necessary data...
So I decided to try to restore the file system or/and boot sector using your program.
What I have?
------------
Boot sector - bad
Backup boot sector - bad
Sectors - are not identical
------------
Partition table type, automaticaly recognized as - None
At this moment, I have just a couple of questions:
If my hard drive has only one partition, whether it makes sense to try to recognize the partition on HDD?
If Boot sector - bad, does it make sense to try to recognize the partition on HDD or do I just need to try to rebuild BS?
And if partition table type automaticaly is recognized as "none", prior to analysis, I need to change it to "Intel" or leave as is "none"?
Many thanks!