Recovering a boot sector of an encrypted HDD

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kgalant

Recovering a boot sector of an encrypted HDD

#1 Post by kgalant »

Hi

So, I don't learn from my mistakes, and accidentally allowed a Ubuntu install to overwrite the bootsector of a HDD which is encrypted with CheckPoint full disk encryption. A normal windows drive, I would have been able to recover the boot sector from the backup, as the wiki so beautifully outlines. However, in this case TestDisk is seeing both the current and backup (since it's encrypted) bootsector as bad, and wont let me recover the 'bad' backup over my current bootsector.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is a volume I sorely need to not lose. Google reveals that there is a recovery method that CheckPoint knows about - however, they are advising to put in a support request, and since I'm only evaluating the encryption product, I can imagine that the issue won't exactly have high priority with their support...

As said - any help would be greatly appreciated.

/KG

Vlad

Re: Recovering a boot sector of an encrypted HDD

#2 Post by Vlad »

Wow Last Friday I did the same thing! And mine was also encrypted.
If you figure out how to fix it, please let me know.

I was also discussing this issue on another site, and posted some possibly-useful links there. Check it out if you're still working on fixing this. (But i used a mac, so some of my links may be a little different but still useful probably)

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... st#tab-top

Best,
Vladimir