Weird filesystem error

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
docz

Weird filesystem error

#1 Post by docz »

hi, I have an SD card that I used to take pictures on our family holiday. When I viewed the pictures on the camera before I packed my bag everything was ok. However now when I'm home and I connect the card to my computer there are several files missing, and opening a folder displays the root folder/file structure again and again endlessly inside each other. I used photorec to retrieve some of the missing photos, but there are some pictures I cannot get out, photorec saves a thumbnail (t0xxxxxx.jpg) but not a corresponding (p0xxxxxx.jpg). There is one particular image I would very much like to get out, but I cannot seem to get it. Is there any way I can use TestDisk to fix the file system? Or a way to tell PhotoRec to get the file out by using it's specific position?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Docz

docz

Re: Weird filesystem error

#2 Post by docz »

The FAT was busted. So I made an image with TestDisk, mounted it and was able to fix it with good old chkdsk.

Just thought I'd reply my solution in case anyone else stumbles onto the same issues.