Bizarre Change in Filesystem Type after Testdisk repair Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Bizarre Change in Filesystem Type after Testdisk repair

#11 Post by cgrenier »

stevesr0 wrote:On the deeper search, it displays multiple extra partitions (10) and when I mark the 8 damaged ones for deletion and ask the program to write the change to the partition table, hit "Y" to confirm this and then quit test disk. After I reboot and rerun deeper search, the program still reports the same 10 partitions.
TestDisk may list extra potential partitions during Deeper Search, it display always the same ones, the result is coherent. Some partitions may not be valid, it's not a problem, it's how all data recovery program work, user have to choose which partitions to keep/recover.

stevesr0

#12 Post by stevesr0 »

So, when I run testdisk and see all these nonexistent/potential partitions on quick search or deeper search, should I attempt to "delete" them by telling testdisk to rewrite the partition table?

If yes, how do you recommend that I do this since marking them "D" and confirming with "Y" doesn't change anything?

Is there some additional step in test disk that I am failing to make to tell the program to REALLY rewrite the partition table, or...

Should I use another program (such as fixparts) or...

Should I ignore these "abnormal" potential partitions unless my computer shows problems.

Thanks again for the program and your responses.

Steve

kbarb

#13 Post by kbarb »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Deeper search is just finding the remnants of old partitions. Specifically, it's finding disk signatures that indicate which partitions used to exist.
But they don't exist anymore so really, not to worry.

As you probably know, when you delete files on your drive, the bits making up the files are not deleted, just the record of them in the master file table. You don't have to actually go in with a disk editor and remove those bits themselves, for as far as the OS knows, the files are gone.

Isn't that what's going on with the partitions you're thinking you need to delete ?
I don't think you really need to be concerned about them as they are not active or affecting anything.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#14 Post by cgrenier »

I confirm, you can safely ignore the remnants of old partitions.

stevesr0

#15 Post by stevesr0 »

Great.

It would be nice if that point was made in the documentation.

Thanks again for the tool, the forum and the responses.

Steve