How to Mount external hard drive and Recover files from it?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kazi

How to Mount external hard drive and Recover files from it?

#1 Post by kazi »

Today, I've downloaded new linuxmint 12 iso and have tried to make a live usb stick to install it to my laptop. I was working with my 500 gb usb external hard drive (which includes aprox. 400 gb data). I connected a 4 gb usb stick to make the bootable usb stick.

Then opened up terminal and typed in the command line "sudo usb-creator-gtk" and then I've pressed erase button mistakenly and seen there was my 500 gb usb hard drive selected and immediately I unplugged my external hard drive (withing 4/5 seconds) from my laptop. I suppose to erase my 4 gb pen drive. But after closing the program when I have tried to check my external hard drive it was not mounted as before and I tried windows 7 to get access to my data into that hard drive and found an error message like "You need to format the disk in drive I: beofe you can use it. Do you want to format it? (Format disk / Cancel)". I pressed cancel then.

Finally, I logged on to my ubuntu and tried gparted to open that external hard drive as a partition. And found there something is missing or damaged. Some info:

Code: Select all

Partition: /dev/sdb1 | File System: unknown | Size: 465.76 GiB | Used: --------- | Unused: --------- | Flags: boot, lba

Partition: unallocated | File System: unallocated | Size: 2.49 MiB | Used: --------- | Unused: --------- | 

Some more info:

Code: Select all

Warning:
Unable to detect file system! Possible reasons are:
-The file system is damaged
-The file system is unknown to GParted
-There is no file system available (unformatted)
-he device entry /dev/sdb1 is missing
Is there any possibilities to make the external hard drive mounted and get those files into it? Or any other solution?

Please help me with this issue. Any body please help. It would be great if anyone can resolve this issue.
Thanks to all!

Fiona

Re: How to Mount external hard drive and Recover files from

#2 Post by Fiona »

I've no idea about your situation yet.
But would it be possible to get some infos about your current partition table using TestDisk and Analyse?
Your affected disk must be selected.
Also I'd need some infos about Quick Search and if no partition would be found, from Deeper Search also.
If TestDisk finds any partition, please press p to have a try to list your files.
Are you able to list your files or did you receive an error message?
Please let me know.

Fiona

kazi

#3 Post by kazi »

I used the analyse option twice. Once in quick mode others in deeper mode. It resulted "no partition available"
What does it mean? Is there no possibilities to get access to those data are being contained by the external hard drive?

Fiona

#4 Post by Fiona »

It's difficult to judge your stiuation without infos.
I'd need infos from TestDisk / Analyse, about your current partition table.
Do you still have your testdisk.log from your previous session inclusive Quick and Deeper Search?
If yes, please zip and upload it.
If you start another session, you would overwrite it.

Fiona

kazi

#5 Post by kazi »

Finally, I've collected some info from the "testdisk.log" file and here is the info.
If it is possible please help me.
Thanks

remy

#6 Post by remy »

Was it previously formatted as FAT32 or was it in NTS and you format it in FAT32 with usb creator ?

Try advanced > Boot > Repair BS, but don't write, only try listing after repair.

kazi

#7 Post by kazi »

remy wrote:Was it previously formatted as FAT32 or was it in NTS and you format it in FAT32 with usb creator ?

Try advanced > Boot > Repair BS, but don't write, only try listing after repair.
I did know nothing I've done but I did not format the hard drive into fat32 from ntfs. It seems like there was fat32 file system available to that portable hard drive previously. I tried as you told me earlier.

After rebuilding Boot Sector, I've been able to list my files and confirm you that all my data listed in red color were deleted by me few days ago and that was consciously but rest (white list) are safe and not a single file was deleted accidently while I was erasing my pendrive but uncosciously gave erase command for my portable hard drive. It just broke the boot sector of the fat32 file system in my external hard drive.

As you suggested me to try advanced > Boot > Rebuild BS, but don't write, only listing after repair, I did exactly the same thing but What should I do now to get the previous situation back in real? Should I choose the WRITE option after rebuilding the boot sector? or else? Please make me sure what would be my next step before I will jump in the air, I can't wait any more because I'm very much excited to see my files.

It's really appreciated that Fiona and you are helping me in my case.

Fiona

#8 Post by Fiona »

TestDisk was complaining about your cluster size.
This value is included in your boot sector also.
That's why it's advisable to write your boot sector to correct it!
If you'd like to copy/backup your data first, you can copy your data using TestDisk.
If you list your data, at the bottom of the screen you'll find the commands.
Standard path is the testdisk folder.
You can choose another directory, if you check that two dots and press enter.
To open a folder, just check it and use your right arrow key on your keyboard.

Fiona

kazi

#9 Post by kazi »

Fiona wrote:TestDisk was complaining about your cluster size.
This value is included in your boot sector also.
That's why it's advisable to write your boot sector to correct it!
If you'd like to copy/backup your data first, you can copy your data using TestDisk.
If you list your data, at the bottom of the screen you'll find the commands.
Standard path is the testdisk folder.
You can choose another directory, if you check that two dots and press enter.
To open a folder, just check it and use your right arrow key on your keyboard.

Fiona
I've already done this step but have not written correct boot sector yet. I want to know whether it is necessary to copy/backup my data before I write the new boot sector (correct one) or I can directly write new boot sector without copying /baking up my data? Acqually I want to know if I don't copy or backup will it be risky? Becaue I don't have enough space to copy or backup those data at this moment. Thanks for your guidelines.

Fiona

#10 Post by Fiona »

Just as long as you don't run chkdsk, there will be no change to you file system.
Sometimes if file system is slightly faulty it might be possible that Autochk will start, if you restart your PC.
You should do that after restoring your boot sector.
You can interrupt it, by pressing any key.
Disconnect the your external dusk and let me know.
You will be still able to copy your data.
I assume its your faulty boot sector.