Need a step by step guide

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TiNGLE

Need a step by step guide

#1 Post by TiNGLE »

Hi guys,
let me tell you my problem:
due to a broken cable my 6TB WD HDD got screwed up. As far as I know one or more ntsc sectors are broken if I recall teh TesDisk messages correctly. All files are listed but I can only access some of them. I really have no idea about HDDs so I really need a guiding hand. What should I do?
Thanks in advance
Ti

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Need a step by step guide

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Please provide the testdisk.log file content, this way I will know the exact error message.

TiNGLE

#3 Post by TiNGLE »

chkdsk says "can't write second boot sector" when I do /f
When I run tesdisk --> create --> select the drive --> Intel --> Analyse --> "partition read error" --> quick search, then this pops up:
and the log file is huge.
file system is GPT.
If I select "None" instead of "Intel" a partition is found an doesn't say "partition read error" as with "Intel". When I do quick search after that this shows up:
As I've said, some of the files are playable just fine and seem 100% ok. The HDD has just 1 partition. How many bootsectors or "parts" does this hdd have? Seems at least one bootsector or part seems ok because of the files which are ok.
Thanks for helping me.

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Do not search a partition inside a partition!
If possible, use the PhysicalDevice instead of the drive letter, use the Advanced menu of TestDisk instead of Analyze.
Choose Boot, RebuildBS, List. If you can see your files, choose Write and confirm.
If you still have read error messages, you need to clone your disk to a new empty one using ddrescue.