Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - can't access the hdd

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jarzus

Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - can't access the hdd

#1 Post by jarzus »

Hello,

I will describe my problem.

I was copying files from PC to external Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 hdd through USB (2.5 hdd in USB 3.0 case). In the middle of copying, something went wrong and the process stopped. Then, after reconnect, the system was unable to allow me to view files that were stored on it. The error was: "Drive no accessible. The parameter is incorrect."

The hdd can be seen in disc management, it has the proper size (678 GB) and the partition is healthy and RAW. I've tried scanning with ZAR and GetDataBack but both shows Error 21 over and over. However, I didn't manage to wait till the end of the process (stopped around 30% tired of two hours of repeated "Error 21" message).

Is there any solution? Is the hdd damaged beyond repair? Is there a way to recover my files?

jarzus

Re: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - can't access the hdd

#2 Post by jarzus »

After silly trials of re-installing hdd drivers and turning the drive off and on the drive showed up in My Computer with correct label. Now I can enter the drive and see folders but I can't go any further as it says that the device is not ready.
I can also see correct info about partition's free space.

I will be grateful for any advice :(

Fiona

#3 Post by Fiona »

Did you already use testdisk to have a try to list your files-

Fiona

jarzus

#4 Post by jarzus »

Yes,

Analyze > Intel > Quick Search brings an error on every value and won't find my partition. I haven't tried a deep search yet.

I've also tried: None > Advanced > Fat 32 / NTFS / exFat (I didn't remember which file system was on that drive) with no Fat 32 table found, no exFat, and very long rebuild BS process for NTFS which I stopped because it seemed like it would last whole week.