Rebuild BS - faster using sata than usb?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Shin

Re: Rebuild BS - faster using sata than usb?

#11 Post by Shin »

Hi,

Before I try using testdisk one last time, im just curious if the 'create image' function in testdisk is similar to that achieved by cloning the partition using Knoppix. If they are essentially the same, then there's no point for me to try cloning the partition using Knoppix if testdisk fails. Fyi when i had finished creating an image of my partition using testdisk, i encountered the 'image created successfully but read errors have occurred' message.

I had also tried using photorec to recover the files from the partition previously but had to abort it, not only because the 'time remaining' was not indicative of the actual time remaining (it fluctuates!), it keeps increasing until i had to and did not provide me with any clear indication how long it would take as i had (and still have) only limited space to copy any recovered files to. In addition, i realized many of the files recovered were duplicated or even triplicated! Anyone has any idea why is this so? Thanks

Shin

Shin

Re: Rebuild BS - faster using sata than usb?

#12 Post by Shin »

Hi,

I opened image.dd using testdisk:

Partition table type: None
Advanced
Boot
Rebuild BS
List
'Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged'

Alternatively if i select 'Repair MFT' instead of 'Rebuild BS', it gives me a 'MFT and MFT mirror are bad. Failed to repair them' message.

Any idea what has gone wrong? Appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Shin