Copy file(s) failing, and corrupt partition returns

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
JimSch

Copy file(s) failing, and corrupt partition returns

#1 Post by JimSch »

In my case - unmountable boot volume - I used Testdisk step-by-step to recover a corrupt partition and then write the changes to the drive. I am prompted to reboot, at which time all partitions are visible EXCEPT the one with all of my data that I need.

If I go back into the drive and analyze it, I see that the corrupt partition info has returned. If I walk through the same steps again, but this time don't reboot, I can still see the files but can't copy them. I assume that the problem has to do with the corrupt partition information mysteriously returning.

If I go into the Advanced menu option and examine the boot sector, it tells me that both copies are ok and match, so I haven't done anything in there. All I've done so far is write the partition changes and reboot one time. FWIW, I verified that files were present/visible in each partition, and confirmed that the sectors do not overlap.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Copy file(s) failing, and corrupt partition returns

#2 Post by cgrenier »

As the partition hasn't been lost, it's useless to rewrite the partition table.
The boot sectors matches, it's good.
If I have well understood, TestDisk can list your files but your OS can't.
What error do you get when you try to copy the files using TestDisk ?
Which version of TestDisk (6.14, 7.0, 7.1-WIP.. Dos/Win 32 bits/Win 64 bits/Linux...) are you using ?

JimSch

#3 Post by JimSch »

I am using Windows 8.1 64-bit, with the current 32-bit TestDisk 7.1. (All of the Linux live CDs I tried had 6.14, and that version would not work with this drive.) When trying to copy the files, it simply says "Copy done! 0 ok, 218 failed". The log file shows "Can't create file <file path & name> No such file or directory" for each file it attempts to copy.

Here is the drive layout:
Part 1 - Mfr utilities - Boot sectors OK/identical
Part 2 - EFI & BOOT info - Boot sectors OK, but First sectors are NOT identical
Part 3 - OS & Data - Boot sectors OK/identical
Part 4 - Mfr recovery - Boot sectors OK/identical

Partition 4 was showing twice during analysis, but their sector locations weren't the same. One entry could not list files, and was overlapping the end of Partition 3. The other entry could list files, and began at the end of Partition 3, where it was supposed to be. I saved that partition and wrote to disk. When I rebooted, the bad Partition 4 came back, so I went through the same steps again and then tried to copy the files.

It appears that the problem with the BS on Partition 2 is causing the problem with Partition 3, so I attempted to rebuild the boot sector of Partition 2. The "Extrapolated boot sector and current boot sector are different" so I attempt to write the new boot sector. Then it errors out saying "Write error: Can't write new FAT boot sector."

oldefoxx

#4 Post by oldefoxx »

I;m not an expert in this area, but I am trained to look for discrepancies. This seems to be one here when you sat "Can't create file <file path & name> No such file or directory" for each file it attempts to copy.

The discrepance is it says "create". that would be your target or destination, not the origination or source end. If it said "cannot read" or something like that, then I would see it differently.

JimSch

#5 Post by JimSch »

*UPDATE*
It seems that the file copy error I received was a permissions error - TestDisk on Windows could not write to any location above the directory root. If I allow it to copy files from the original drive to the directory containing the TestDisk program, I am able to successfully retrieve all of the files. Therefore the data recovery problem has been solved.

I am still interested in finding out why TestDisk 7.1 isn't able to write the new FAT Boot Secor for the damaged partition, as indicated above.