Another Accidentally "formatted" running drive using Fat32Formatter Thread

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kipz162

Another Accidentally "formatted" running drive using Fat32Formatter Thread

#1 Post by kipz162 »

Hi there,

First off I'd like to say I know no one owes me any help, but I'd be so gracious and thankful if anyone could offer me assistance as this is all completely new to me.

I've basically done the exact same thing as this thread viewtopic.php?t=5989

I've used Fat32Formatter, and actidentally "Initialised" my C drive instead of my 64gb thumb drive. I know it doesn't excuse it, but both are Corsair branded, so when I saw 58GB corsair selected, I didn't think twice that it was the USB stick.

The only problem is I've no idea on what to do. I really need someone to point out the basic steps to take and especially not what to do so I don't render the drive unusable.

I'm all ears and am happy to try and live chat or something with someone who has the time to take me through what to do.

I really need this partition as I've got some drivers set up on there which I cannot seem to replicate anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated and I can provide any screenshots or info you need.

Thanks.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Another Accidentally "formatted" running drive using Fat32Formatter Thread

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Using TestDisk 7.0 (32 bit or 64 bits) or 7.1-WIP 32 bits, Analyse, Quick Search, Stop, Deeper Search. For each NTFS partition found, use 'p' to list the files.
If your files as listed, set this partition as *(bootable) or P(rimary). On next screen, choose Write, confirm, BackupBS, confirm, Quit, restart your computer.

If it doesn't work, use PhotoRec instead https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step