Not Able to Complete Recovery

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Berryblue

Not Able to Complete Recovery

#1 Post by Berryblue »

Hi team,

First thank you to Christophe for the software and the forums!

I have a terabyte SATA drive that was the original internal hard drive in my laptop. I got up one morning two weeks ago to discover that it wouldn't boot up. I downloaded TestDisk and have read a few posts. I purchased two new drives so that I can transfer my data to both but have a secondary backup once I recover my files.

I can't run chkdsk as it sees the filesystem as RAW. I am also running Windows 10 on the new drive.

It took some time to make my computer recognize the drive as I placed in a USB drive case. So what I did was the following via the menu:

Went to Advanced menu, select the partition, chose Boot, then RebuildBS. I was hoping that the files would appear but instead I got the following:

What can I do next to resolve this issue?
Last edited by Berryblue on 02 Feb 2017, 19:51, edited 3 times in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Not Able to Complete Recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Select the PhysicalDrive containing G: and try again.

Berryblue

#3 Post by Berryblue »

Thank you! I'm running it now.

I had to reboot as it wasn't recognizing the entire drive. The drive has two partitions, first partition had the recovery software installed by Dell. The second partition had the OS and all my files.

Both partitions were initially appearing as RAW. However now the computer recognizes the first partition and I can see all of the files but the second partition is still appearing as RAW. Hoping that by running it I can regain access to the files.

Berryblue

#4 Post by Berryblue »

I ran it again and got the following error again. I want to point out that this is a drive that has two partitions; F and G. Drive G is the bootable partition but still giving me the same error. Should I be selecting something else off the menu?

Berryblue

#5 Post by Berryblue »

So I downloaded 7.1 to see if I would get better results but I didn't. It tells me it needs to analyze drive first, which I let it do and it created a really large file as many errors appeared. It computer wouldn't recognize the drive after that so I rebooted and saw that both partitions were back to be RAW. I am now running 7.0 again and it is asking to anaylze as it won't let me into the submenu I used in my first post. It tells me there are no partitions.

Berryblue

#6 Post by Berryblue »

I noticed a huge difference between versions 7.0 and 7.1. In version 7.0, it doesn't recognize the drive as a whole drive that has two partitions (F: & G:), instead it lists it as two individual drives. I happen to notice yesterday afternoon. The first two drives are my Seagate drives that consist of C, D, and E.

So after rebooting, I decided to try 7.1 again and finally got it to run. It is also giving me the same error as 7.0 that I provided in the images I posted initially.

Here is what Disk Management is showing and of course because it is in RAW format, the drives are showing as empty:

I tried the RestoreBS twice and it didn't work. I rebooted and tried the Analyze but I'm still getting the below error.

So what can I do now? Hoping for a solution as I have a lot of images of my children on the drive and a lot of research work for school. HELP!! :? :cry:

Last edited by Berryblue on 05 Feb 2017, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Berryblue

#7 Post by Berryblue »

I rebooted again and saw that Disk Management is seeing Drive F: as NTFS but I don't need anything off of that partition. It is still showing G: as RAW...

So I went back into the software and now instead of it actually showing the entire volume, it is only showing Drive F. How do I get around this error?

Berryblue

#8 Post by Berryblue »

I wound up using ddrescue because testdisk nor photorec could not access the files. I wound up cloning the drive but even after doing this and having to use chkdsk /f because the system would not recognize the drive. Once I did the chkdsk /f on the drive, it advised me that the drive was blank even when I rebooted a few times. I tried running photorec but it couldn't see the files.

I wound up using Recuva and it sees over 600k files. Posting just to update.