Win 7 Spanned Volume Recovery

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
maphius

Win 7 Spanned Volume Recovery

#1 Post by maphius »

Hi there,

I'm running a windows 7 build, and up until a few days ago I had two 3tb HDDs operating as a striped volume (RAID0). This was a software RAID or Fake Raid as set up within Windows itself. Something happened during use while trying to access a folder, windows informed me the location wasn't available all of a sudden. After a few more unsuccessful attempts I restarted the PC hoping that would solve the issue.

Unfortunately after the reboot, the striped drive was not visible to windows, but showed up as two un-initialised drives in windows Disk Management. At the same time, windows RST popped up as service not running. After a little bit of digging around, I uninstalled and reinstalled RST, hoping that that would fix the issue with the striped drive. While I now appear to have RST up and running again, it didn't see the drive properly.

I then went looking for a solution to repair the file system on the drives, hoping that that was the problem and came across TestDisk.

I'm not at all experienced with this software and was hoping someone could guide me through what I need to do, if this will even do what I want it to. So far I have run a scan on the first drive in the array which took a little over a day and a half. Once I'd started the first quick scan, I called up a second instance of TestDisk and ran a simultaneous scan of the second disk.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John