Flash Drive FS system skew

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
extremelabs

Flash Drive FS system skew

#1 Post by extremelabs »

The drive is a 2GB Imation drive with a lot of jpgs in several subfolders. I believe the file table might have been over-written. Worked one day, not the next, exchanged between Mac and Linux Debian machines.

The FS lists incorrect file names, and one HUGE file substituting for hundreds of smaller ones.

The TestDisk software claimed incorrect geometry, so I re-did that, and nothing changed at all. It can find files, but one with non-sense creation dates and all the same file extensions.

I tried photorec on the drive as well, additionally to no avail.

It's a FAT 32 FS, and appears to have been somehow over-written, or skewed, or perhaps damaged somehow that i don't understand. The number of heads is 62, whereas your app claims there should be 255. I adjust to 255, and there is no change in the file listings, sizes, etc.

Any help sincerely appreciated. Not irreplaceable, but it will take time.

Thanks!

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Flash Drive FS system skew

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you try PhotoRec 7.1-WIP ? Enable the expert mode in Options, start the recovery, choose [Whole] and a blocksize of 512 bytes, use the default options otherwise.
Does it recover your data ?