CF card reading as 33Mb instead of 32GB

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TonyTone

CF card reading as 33Mb instead of 32GB

#1 Post by TonyTone »

Details:
Shooting with a Canon 5D mkiii
Lexar Professional 1066x
32GB UDMA7
This is a legit card I've used for over a year and I've never experience an issue like this.

I was on a photo shoot about 2 hours into shooting, and the card stopped working. Error message on the back of the display read, "Card1 cannot be accessed Reinsert/change the card or format the card with camera."

On the top of the camera display, it showed 'err'

Getting back home to transfer images onto computer. When inserting the card, it displays as if it is unformatted, I get the windows dialog that asks if I want to reformat. I've looked at the disk using Testdisk 7, and the card is reading as 33 MB / 31 MiB - CHS 4 255 63 instead of a 32GB card, so it looks like the partition and/or MBR must have gotten corrupted. I've tried a myriad of recovery tools to try and pull the images off the card, but nothing is reading the card correctly. I've found solutions that say to reformat the card, then use the recovery tools to do a deep search to recover the files. Windows is unable to even read the card, formatting doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Do I need to first fix it so that it reads as 32GB? If so, how do I do that?

When I analyze the disk it says, "Partition sector doesn't have the endmark 0xAA55", deeper search doesn't find anything.

Opening the disk using WinHex seems to show the full capacity of the card, but I don't know how to use the program so I don't want to break anything.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
disk2.jpg
disk2.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
disk.jpg
disk.jpg (71.48 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: CF card reading as 33Mb instead of 32GB

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The CF card capacity is wrong, it's a hardware problem. You need to contact a data recovery company to recover your data.