NTFS damaged filesystem

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
romzie

NTFS damaged filesystem

#1 Post by romzie »

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I don't even know if this issue belong here but I have troubles defining properly the problem.

Origin of the issue: a friend of mine plugged my hard drive "WD My Passport 2TB" (filesystem NTFS) on his MAC to give me a file. All went well, except the fact that when I tried plugging it on my Windows computer, It throws this error at me "D:/ is not accessible. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable.".

I tried some recovery tools for my files, but only found sharewares options until testdisk. But I don't really know what I am doing with it and I don't want to mess with my hard drive. I read every tutorials but didn't find one that matches my case.

Here are some screens I took to help you help me with that:

imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/SiPOI

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: NTFS damaged filesystem

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can use PhotoRec to recover your data but it will not find the original filenames or file structure...

romzie

Re: NTFS damaged filesystem

#3 Post by romzie »

Hi,
I tried PhotoRec, it works well for the videos but it didn't recover correctly my mp3 files. There size is all around 7KB and of course can not be read. (original size around 4 MB)
I thought it may be the size of the header, but if it finds the header it should know the size of the file, no?