Need Help, external drive, accidentally clicked Format and clicked cancel right away

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
splavik

Need Help, external drive, accidentally clicked Format and clicked cancel right away

#1 Post by splavik »

Hi guys,

Found this tool online - everyone that seems to have similar problems said this tool saved their lives!
I'm now in their positions - wife will kill me if i can't recover the drive! :S
so, have an external drive, 2 TB, with about 2/3rds full.

Was supposed to format a thumb drive, clicked format, realized which Drive it wanted to format, clicked Cancel -
now everytime i try to open the drive i get E:\ is not accessible file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

So i downloaded the TestDisk tool... tried the PhotoRec option and it started finding a bunch of files - so i figure the i'm half way home.
i'm thinking i'll use testDisk and actually fix the drive - but am not sure what to do

1) i find the drive
2) i select the Intel partition table (because it tells me intel partition detected)
3) now i'm at partition structure - tells me No partition is bootable (which it shouldn't be - its just an ext drive to store data) shows 1 P HPFS - NTFS with all these #'s
so i do Quick Search
4) Structure OK
what to do now?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (119.53 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Need Help, external drive, accidentally clicked Format and clicked cancel right away

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Press 'p' to list the files. If you see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer.
Please copy/paste the testdisk.log file if you have problems.