"All ok" but Test Disk fails

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
gehtjanx

"All ok" but Test Disk fails

#1 Post by gehtjanx »

Hello,

Had a crash (PC suck), after that CHKDSK was executed. It got stuck at phase 2 at 43%, started again, but never finished.

I removed the HDD and connected it to another PC, but the computer tells me I have to format it (no access in Explorer).

With the program "GetDataBack" I can access the data within 2 minutes, all files are available. But: The results cannot be written to disk (NTFS table or MBR or whatever it is called)

TestDisk does an analysis and but says "it's corrupted/destroyed". But there was no option to recover it.

Tried other programs, but they don't work either.

Then I tried the option "write test MBR" but now TestDisk finds even fewer partitions - GetDataBack works as well as before.

I've copied all the files now, but I hope I can avoid formatting it and install everything from scratch again. So I would prefer to repair this HDD because everything is still accessible. The HDD SMART values ​​are all OK. However, CHKDSK can not delete an entry and can not continue.

Can someone explain what I need to restore that? Can not be that hard if GetDataBack did so fast and finds everthing.

Greetings and thanks, otherwise I have to format everything again and make it new.
gehtjanx

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: "All ok" but Test Disk fails

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I think there are bad sectors despite the SMART "Ok" status.
You should copy all your files on another disk and avoid using the original disk.