External HDD missing folder after recovery

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
LxMaD

External HDD missing folder after recovery

#1 Post by LxMaD »

Hey,

I've been trying to recover my 1,5TB HDD after my MBR likely died. I got a backup image already and managed to extract most of the folders that I lost.

I've not been able to recover my MBR so far. It didn't fail but neither windows nor Ubuntu would be able to recognize my HDD. So I extracted the folders manually. There is just one problem: One huge folder with lots of videos is missing.
I know about said folder, I just don't know the path anymore, because I used to have quite a complex architecture of folders and it's been years. I've been able to extract some of those videos with photorec tho, so I guess they're there somewhere.

My question: Am I able to search for said folder with testdisk somehow? I'd guess it contains 100+ GB so that should help. I might also know some of the file names guessing from my cameras naming scheme. I cannot browse through the HDD with windows or linux (so far), so I'd would have to be via TestDisk I guess. All other folders are easily accessible with the usual name.

LxMaD

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: External HDD missing folder after recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Search for files ending by mov, mp4, mpg... whatever extension your videos files were using

LxMaD

Re: External HDD missing folder after recovery

#3 Post by LxMaD »

I did this with photorec before, and it didn't seem to find all of the videos I lost. I checked the report.xml, but I don't know if any information will lead up to the original path on the HDD (don't know if "offset", "img_offset", "len" will give me any more information I need). Is there any way to look for that folder in testdisk and restore the whole folder with all the original filenames? I would just need to a) search for a specific filename or b) view how big each folder is (that way I would probably find that folder quickly, if it isn't damaged).