Help recovering from single RAID volume

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
SgtOldy

Help recovering from single RAID volume

#1 Post by SgtOldy »

So I have a drive that was in my ReadyNAS I had used as a backup before reformatting. This drive was NOT part of the 4 disk RAID, but was an additional volume. Thought I would be able to recover the data once I reformatted the 4x disks of the RAID if this was separate during said format.

After the format I put this 500GB drive back into the ReadyNAS and (THOUGHT :x ) I was recreating the link to the current data, but ended up deleting the partition table...

There are about 15,000 pictures in about 1,000 different folders. Below, the first picture shows the folder structure --inside the red circle--of the "BTRFS" that I would like to recover but NEED HELP to ensure I do not lose all the photos of my family and more. :(

Second pic shows the hex data if that helps anyone.

Third pic is the scan from TestDisk I hope to rescue my pics and docs.

Any advice offered (Linux dumb here, but have an Ubuntu VM on hand) would be great (please speak slowly, and clearly) help and appreciated!

SGT Oldy

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Help recovering from single RAID volume

#2 Post by cgrenier »

The screenshot shows that another data recovery utility has been able to list your files, so why not use it ?
You can always use photorec to recover your pictures but it will not recover the original file structure.

SgtOldy

#3 Post by SgtOldy »

ReclaiMe is 120USD for a single licence, I would be happy to get on your Amazon wishlist to send you something but you only have a Jamie Sawyer listed. If I can recover the files while remaining in the folder structure I would rather send you 10 copies of that book then pay for software less versatile than your TestDisk.

I want to play around with TestDisk and PhotoRec to know how to use it better, but this job is to risky to loose while "playing around".

Knowing how to use yours would be more helpful more often than ReclaiMe.

SgtOldy

#4 Post by SgtOldy »

BTW, I am currently at GMT+9, so please do not think slow reply is due to a lack of interest in your post. I would be happy to send you any further readings you would like to get a better understanding so to provide highest likelihood of recovery.

SgtOldy

#5 Post by SgtOldy »

anyone know if I can convert a BTRFS to a FAT or NTFS maybe?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

The pictures you post previously are not available anymore.
I don't think it's possible to convert an btrfs filesystem to an NTFS, the best method is probably to backup all the files, reformat the partition and restore the files. For that you need to have access to the files in the first place...

SgtOldy

#7 Post by SgtOldy »

The site I posted them on, deleted my account because the pictures had "Copyright" in the pictures....

The partitions the files are on were deleted, what would be the recommended way to recover the partitions? Would it be better to run TestDisk on an Ubuntu VM?

I will buy you that book you have listed lol!
This software is rather expensive and did't work last time I used it....
Save-These(Data_s).jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
These were all the partitions found by Test disk. Which ones are the ones that have the files and how do I save them? Please in the folders they are in currently.
Attachments
These were all the partitions found by Test disk. Which ones are the ones that have the files and how do I save them? Please in the folders they are in currently.
Save-These(TestDisk_+24Hrss).jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Folders
Folders
Save-These_s.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 5210 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#8 Post by cgrenier »

testdisk can be use to restore the deleted partitions / rewrite the partition table but you have to choose the correct partitions in the list...
Check if a listed partition is reported as using btrfs and set it as P(rimary).
On next screen, chose Write, confirm, Quit and restart your computer under Linux to try to list the files.