Seagate Drive failed in Synology NAS - ext4 Filesystem corrupt?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
craptec

Seagate Drive failed in Synology NAS - ext4 Filesystem corrupt?

#1 Post by craptec »

Hello everybody!
I have a drive (Seagate Barracuda ES.2, 750GB, ST3750330NS) which does not mount in my mother's NAS (Synology DS212j with DSM6.x) anymore. I think it might have failed because of power loss while writing data.
From what I know it should be ext4 file system (because I chose what Synology was recommending). The drive still spins up and is recognised in windows when connected directly via SATA or SATA-USB-adaptor. It seems to be kinda okay because its not completely raw or something. I attached a screenshot of windows' Disc Management.
SeagateDatentraegerverwaltung.PNG
SeagateDatentraegerverwaltung.PNG (9.7 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Unfortunately TestDisk does not recognise any partitions on this drive, although it recognises the correct capacity (/dev/sdc - 750 GB / 698 GiB - CHS 91201 255 63, sector size=512). When promted I choose "intel" for partition style and choose analyse afterwards. But except from read errors (see below) for every block nothing happens.

Code: Select all

Partition table type default to Intel
Disk /dev/sdc - 750 GB / 698 GiB
Partition table type: Intel

Analyse Disk /dev/sdc - 750 GB / 698 GiB - CHS 91201 255 63
Current partition structure:

Partition: Read error
Does anybody have an Idea what I can try or where I do something wrong?

Cheers
Max

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Seagate Drive failed in Synology NAS - ext4 Filesystem corrupt?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Windows has been able to list the partitions, so testdisk should be able to.
Have you started testdisk from an administrator account ?

craptec

#3 Post by craptec »

Hi
thanks for your reply. I think I tried it as Administrator as well. Right now I run the analysis again but it throws read errors the whole time.
Same settings as before: TestDisk 7.0 as Admin, Disk connected via USB-SATA-Adaptor, Intel-Style.
I attached a screenshot. Looks like there is a readerror at every cylinder.

Something I realize right now: the drive is surprisingly silent. It is spinning but I do not hear the usual rattling noise of a head beeing moved. But if the head would not move we should not see the partitions in windows, right?

Cheers
Max
Attachments
testdiskAdminIntel.PNG
testdiskAdminIntel.PNG (10.2 KiB) Viewed 4393 times

craptec

#4 Post by craptec »

Some additional information:
I tried to choose EFI GPT as partition table style. It is still not able to find partitions. And the quick search analysis takes forever. It checked 5 cylinders in ~30mins.

Any idea what might be wrong here?

Cheers
Max

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

Looks like a bunch of bad sectors or a damaged head. Try to clone the disk to a new empty one using ddrescue, read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf for an how to.
Good luck,

craptec

#6 Post by craptec »

Okay. I'll try to do this. If the cloning is succesfull what will I find on the disk I cloned to? The original files or just a copy I can try to work on? (I am afraid I did not find an answer to this in the manual).

It is correct that the drive I clone the broken drive to does not need to be the same vendor/model? But it should be larger as far as I understood.

Thank you very much for your help!
Max

cgrenier
Site Admin

#7 Post by cgrenier »

Once you have cloned the disk, remove the original one and work on the copy. What you will have to do will depend of the amount of damages...
You can use a larger disk but be very careful if you use another 750G disk, the capacity may be several MB off but still advertised as 750G.

craptec

#8 Post by craptec »

Thank you very much for the help!
I found another disk I will try to clone the broken one to.
Just for some tests I ran TestDisk 7.1 and it worked as expected on the spare disk (found some old partitions). But I know this disk used to be a sytem disk in a Windows 7 machine. So I assume that the partition table style should be intel.
I found another topic in this forum (viewtopic.php?t=2600) where somebody lost data with a synology NAS. He mentioned he found *something* when he ran the search with the partition table style "none". I tried this as well and found this:
PartiotionStyleNone.PNG
PartiotionStyleNone.PNG (15.79 KiB) Viewed 4344 times
Unfortunately I have no idea what these numbers should tell me :/ When I choose ext4 as Type I still cannot find any files. I was not able to find any information which kind of partition table style Synology uses. Do you have any idea from a previous case of lost data?

Sorry for asking a maybe stupid question again but how could windows tell there are some kind of partitions on this drive but TestDisk or Synology or some DiskInternals Linux Reader ext4 driver thing can't read/access these partitions?

Another thing I realised: I tried running a drive test/SMART-Reader (HD Tune). Due to the USB-SATA-Adaptor it seems to be unable to read SMART values. But it was not able to do any drive tests because of I/O errors. I was able to run the tests with the spare disk without problems (exept for the SMART test which would not work because of the adaptor). Do you think the drive might be electronically broken?
It seems to make read/write noises from time to time though.

Thanks again for your time and help!
Max

cgrenier
Site Admin

#9 Post by cgrenier »

Unusual noise may be due to bad sectors or damaged heads. ddrescue can deal with the former, for the later, only a data recovery company can replace the damaged heads.

craptec

#10 Post by craptec »

I think the drive has a major problem. I tried the direct image like it is described in your manual but I think ddrescue was not able to read any data from the broken drive :S
I would like to add a screenshot but somehow I am not able to upload any image files (error message: "Failed to move uploaded file")

Cheers
Max