unable to repair mft with testdisk

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
loulivie

unable to repair mft with testdisk

#1 Post by loulivie »

hi i am very much a novice please have patience! any help much apreciated. pc crashed with bsod, l am unable to access hdd internally or externally or run win 7 repair disc or chkdsk. after trawling the web i discovered ubcd and testdisk. i ran hdd health check - ok. i ran testdisk quick search all partitions seemed correct boot sectors ok but two partitions bad mft and bad mirror mft unable to repair. i decided to run deeper search and now i am very confused - i have attached some screen shots hoping some one can help me understand thanks in advance (there is one more attachment i cant add here which shows duplicate paririons after deper search)
Attachments
after deeper search
after deeper search
Td4-1115735458.jpg (237 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
after quick search
after quick search
Td21780969492.jpg (253.24 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
quick search
quick search
Td1-2143108610.jpg (227.07 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: unable to repair mft with testdisk

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you post
- the result of TestDisk, Analyse
- the list of your partitions with various information like filesystem type (FAT, NTFS...), the size, the label

loulivie

#3 Post by loulivie »

Thanks for the reply - quick search3.jpg (after running quick analyse) is what I remember to be correct - all partitions NTFS - is this enough information?

deeper analyse2.jpg was taken just before deeper analysis completed - I never created any FAT16 partitions on the drive.
Attachments
deeper analyse2.jpg
deeper analyse2.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 5710 times
quick search3.jpg
quick search3.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 5710 times

loulivie

#4 Post by loulivie »

Hi, I realize that I am way over my head in this forum, however everyone has to start somewhere!! Please could some one point me in the right direction - There are some valuable files, bookmarks and research (not backed up :oops: ) on the corrupt drive. Also I am trying to discover what caused this situation in the first place - if it was a virus will photo rec, recover infected files onto my new hard drive? I have had Bullguard antivirus running and have used malwarebytes and spybot - but have had infections get through on both this PC win 7 and another PC running win XP. Tutorials to read or relevant threads would be a huge help, so I can learn more about how test disk works... thanks