What does this line mean?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
catechist

What does this line mean?

#1 Post by catechist »

Please forgive me if this question seems obvious, I'm very new at this, meaning this is my first time; and it's not my drive. In running test disk, I have now seen what appear to be eight partitions. I can sort of dope out what's what with respect to the partitions. The drive comes from a, (don't you dare laugh,) Acer Netbook, the client likes the machine for its small size and weight. Anyway the drive came with the standard three logical partition arrangement, 1. Diagnostic, 2. Factory System Recovery 3. O.S. Windows 7. Housed on the drive are his music files which are arranged in a very specific order, he is a musician, and is quite fussy about their arrangement. A line under 'Analyse Cylinder' giving the count and percentage complete reads: "Read Error at 1704/111/7 (Iba=27381759)" I have no idea how to interpret the meaning of the message; in that I can only assume that the 1704 shown before the forward slash is the cyl. number, and that perhaps the 111, and 7 which follows the second forward slash are some sort of address location within the cyl.? With that being said what does one do with that information? Is it just a handy notation as to where the problem occured in the problem with the corruption of the MBR, or just what? I just don't know what to make of it, and I want to proceed cautiously. If anyone is able to offer advice please do so. Thank-You.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: What does this line mean?

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Read errrors are often cause by bad sectors or damaged heads. Damaged head can only be replaced by specialized data recovery company.
If the disk has bad sectors, it should be cloned on a new empty disk using ddrescue as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf