[TestDisk] Need help with repairing a corrupt Samsung micro-SD card

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Bleaknice

[TestDisk] Need help with repairing a corrupt Samsung micro-SD card

#1 Post by Bleaknice »

I want to copy some app data from my corrupt SD card "Android\Data" with TestDisk because I want to retrieve the original filenames, which PhotoRec cannot offer.

But how can I repair my SD card before I'm able to copy data?

Beforehand, I ran chkdsk a few times, but I got the following error messages every time:
  • * \[folder 1] first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated."
    * The \[folder 2] entry contains a nonvalid link. Unrecoverable error in folder \[folder 2]. Convert folder to file (Y/N)?" (I said no)
    * The \[folder 3] entry contains a nonvalid link. Folder \[folder 3] has bad clusters. Bad clusters removed from folder. Unrecoverable error in folder \[folder 3]. Convert folder to file (Y/N)?" (I said no)
    * \System Volume Information first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
    * Removing trailing folder entries from \[folder 4]. Then the scan was ended.
Most of the corrupted folders contained music and image files, but not all my folders (like the Android folder with app data) got that error message.

On TestDisk, I followed these steps:
* Choose Intel as detected
* Advanced > Boot

Then I got this message:

Code: Select all

Disk /dev/sde - 32 GB / 29 GiB - CHS 3891 255 63
    Partition                  Start        End    Size in sectors
 1 P FAT32 LBA                0 130  3  3891 148 33   62510080

Boot sector
OK

Backup boot sector
OK

First sectors (boot code and partition information) are not identical.

A valid FAT Boot sector must be present in order to access any data; even if the partition is not bootable.
So what kind of corruption is going on here?
What should I do next if the First sectors are not identical, while the Boot sector and Backup boot sector are OK?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: [TestDisk] Need help with repairing a corrupt Samsung micro-SD card

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Choose List and try to copy your files.

Bleaknice

Re: [TestDisk] Need help with repairing a corrupt Samsung micro-SD card

#3 Post by Bleaknice »

Tried this weekend to plug in my SD card in different ways: with SD card adapter, without SD card adapter, with card reader, without card reader, different laptop, but the drive doesn't get recognized! Otherwise, I'd get the notification that "there is a problem with this driver". I did a run with "diskmgmt", but it stalled at "connecting for Virtual Disk Service".

What does this mean? What do I have to do first to let the SD card be recognized at least?