No help but do you know people are selling testdisk for money

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
doglover04

No help but do you know people are selling testdisk for money

#1 Post by doglover04 »

Hi no help just yet. I didn't know how to contact testdisk owner. Do you know people are selling testdisk on ebay for $1.99. To me its just wrong when testdisk is free.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: No help but do you know people are selling testdisk for money

#2 Post by cgrenier »

TestDisk & PhotoRec are licensed under GPL v2 or later. It's allowed to sell a physical media with testdisk & photorec on it (See the license for more details)
For a "download", the GPL license states (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#section6)
Convey the object code by offering access from a designated place (gratis or for a charge), and offer equivalent access to the Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no further charge. You need not require recipients to copy the Corresponding Source along with the object code. If the place to copy the object code is a network server, the Corresponding Source may be on a different server (operated by you or a third party) that supports equivalent copying facilities, provided you maintain clear directions next to the object code saying where to find the Corresponding Source. Regardless of what server hosts the Corresponding Source, you remain obligated to ensure that it is available for as long as needed to satisfy these requirements.
It's hard to know if the ebay reseller respects the license or not without "buying".

I think that people reselling testdisk or photorec via download are both abusing users and exploiting the work of all people having contributed to TestDisk & PhotoRec.