Files not located correctly

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
fabml

Files not located correctly

#1 Post by fabml »

Hi,
while I try to recover the data with photorec, I explain the problem that occurred hoping to be able to solve it with Testdisk.
I was extending the second partition on my external 2 TB NTFS drive from 250 GB to 300 GB, reducing the first partition by 50 GB (so I extended the second one from left). While Gparted was moving the files to the new partition start, the process was interrupted because of I/O error. Gparted moved only 20 of the 250GB.
Now I can mount the partition (it's recognised as a 300 GB partition) and view its content (it stored thousands of long audio file). But when I try to play some files, the player plays pieces of other files; moreover, there are files that are not played at all(player gives an error); and there are files that are played fine (I suppose that they are the files Gparted moved).
Is it possible to read the partition correctly and recover the data? Testdisk doesn't find deleted files since there's a new partition start. Is it possible to set a 51200MB offset to the partition start and read correctly the files not moved by Gparted?

Thank you

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Files not located correctly

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I don't think it's possible unless your 250GB partition is found during Deeper Search (after Analyse, Quick Search).
You can always use PhotoRec but select [Whole] instead of [Free].
Note that your disk contains bad sectors, so you need to replace it.