Can testdisk work on a partition image, no preceding partition table

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
faginbagin

Can testdisk work on a partition image, no preceding partition table

#1 Post by faginbagin »

I'm in the process of recovering an exfat partition from a 64gb microsd card using gnu ddrescue. I chose to rescue /dev/sdb1 (the only partition on the card) to a file, not /dev/sdb (the entire sd card, including the partition table). ddrescue has been running for hours and still has many more hours to go. I'm trying to plan ahead and am researching testdisk while I wait for ddrescue to rescue what it can. The examples I've seen in testdisk documentation using ddrescue and an image file, all use the disk device, like /dev/sdb, and not the partition device, like /dev/sdb1. Does this mean I will need to copy the 1MB of the disk preceding the partition and maybe a few sectors following the partition, and then cat them to produce a complete disk image before I can use testdisk? Or, can testdisk recognize a standalone file system image?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Can testdisk work on a partition image, no preceding partition table

#2 Post by cgrenier »

TestDisk and PhotoRec can work on a filesystem image.
They will use partition type "None" instead of the usual PC Intel or EFI GPT partition table.