Saved Files disappeared

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
TimOz

Saved Files disappeared

#1 Post by TimOz »

OVERVIEW:
REPAIR TARGET: Windows 10 PC with dying drive
REPAIR SOURCE: USB stick containing Linux Rescue CD from http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/
ACTION: Used TESTDISK to LIST, COPY and SAVE files from 'USERS' folder onto the USB stick
PROBLEM:
1. Files now disappeared! 'SAVED' folder I created is VISIBLE in SpaceFM file manager, but no files
2. Files are still visible in TestDisk !
3. When I use Testdisk to look at the USB stick itself, it says something about the wrong cylinders

This may be my last chance to save these user files.

I had a Windows 10 PC with a dying hard drive. (Wouldn't boot...Got a SMART warning about failing drive...Often the laptop won't even DETECT the drive)
I had Testdisk on a USB stick (Linux SystemRescueCD) and used it to LIST FILES to see a bunch of files in the USERS directory.

But the problem is, after I (COPY>)SAVED them to the USB drive containing Testdisk, they are invisible....they disappeared.

The only place I could see to save them is in the 'folder' that has directories like 'var' and 'bin' and the rest.
This is the same folder that I can see if I use the File Manager (SpaceFM) of the linux rescue cd (USB STICK) I'm using.

The problem is, the folder I created to store the recovered files (which I called 'SAVED') APPEARS in SpaceFM, but there was NOTHING IN IT, according to the file manager.

But then when I LISTED the files in Testdisk they were THERE.

I ended up trying restart and now I have no idea where they are.

What can I do?

I haven't been able to detect the drive the last few times, so getting those files from the USB stick - if they are really there - may be my only chance to save the data.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Saved Files disappeared

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If you copy the files to a LiveCD/DVD/USB, the files disappears when you reboot.
You should plug an external HDD, mount it and copy the files to this disk.