Selecting List crashes TestDisk

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
gridflash

Selecting List crashes TestDisk

#1 Post by gridflash »

Okay
I have a 1T WD drive with 4 partitions. One of the partitions won't mount. EaseUS Data Recovery can see all the files but windows won't mount it.
When I try to check the file system we get this message: "Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted."
So I run TestDisk. It sees the NTFS partition and the number of sectors correctly but the partition structure has an * in front of it.
I run Advanced, Boot. Says Boot is okay and backup is okay Sectors are Identical.
So I select RebuildBS.
When that finishes it says Extrapolated boot sector and current sector are different.
So I select List. Testdisk crashes.

Now what :?:

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Selecting List crashes TestDisk

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You can always try PhotoRec to recover your data but it won't recover the original filenames.
Using a commercial data recovery utility may be the only way to get your data with the filenames...

gridflash

#3 Post by gridflash »

Well, since EaseUS Data Recovery can see all the files I can certainly do that. But I was hoping I could repair the boot sector.
I still don't understand why choosing 'List' crashed TestDisk both times I tried it.
Since the Extrapolated boot sector is different than the current boot sector would trying to 'Write' the Extrapolated boot sector let chkdsk read the partition?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

gridflash wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:33 I still don't understand why choosing 'List' crashed TestDisk both times I tried it.
Is there any software at all where you understand why the software crashes?
Nobody stops you from investing some time and running a different version of testdisk or run it from a different operation system.
You could clone the drive in question with ddrescue to exclude unreadable sectors p.e..

And finally if the crash prevails you could post an article with a detailed description of all necessary circumstances.
"Testdisk crashes when trying to list files" sounds interesting but does not provide any additional information to track down a possible error unfortunately.

recuperation wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 19:06
gridflash wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 17:33 Since the Extrapolated boot sector is different than the current boot sector would trying to 'Write' the Extrapolated boot sector let chkdsk read the partition?
This question cannot be answered.
A valid boot sector is just a necessary condition to mount a file system but not a sufficient one.

Imagine your car has been involved in an car accident and you ask the mechanic: Will it run again after pumping up the tires?
Last edited by recuperation on 11 Jun 2019, 20:05, edited 2 times in total.

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »