Need to recover files from corrupted USB!

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Gava24

Need to recover files from corrupted USB!

#1 Post by Gava24 »

Hello!
I have this issue that i've been trying to solve for the last couple hours but nothing has worked:
I has transferring some pictures from my friends mobile to her USB flash drive when her daughter accidentally moved it and now every time I want to access the drive it says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system". I have tried the "chkdsk" command but it doesn't work.
I kept doing some research and that's how I found TestDisk, however when I try to recover the files it says that the filesystem seems to be damaged.
Could anyone help me? As the files I have lost are very important and I don't want to format the flash drive.
Thank you so much!!
Attachments
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 1.PNG (20.53 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
cmd.PNG
cmd.PNG (30.73 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
can't open filesystem.PNG
can't open filesystem.PNG (25.74 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Need to recover files from corrupted USB!

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try PhotoRec. If possible, choose the PhysicalDrive instead of D:. After selecting the partition, choose Search and "[Whole]".
Good luck

Gava24

#3 Post by Gava24 »

I've tried to do that but it didn't give me option to choose "whole" it went straightaway to the part were I have to choose the destination of the recovered files. Anyway, when the searching began I realized that when the reading sector is in 62..... (the number is too long and I couldn't read everything) instead of going to 63... it goes back to 55.... and it has been in that loop eversince, I tried stopping the process and doing it again but I had the same result, I'm currently using QPhotoRec and it shows me the same issue. So my questions are: is that normal?, my USB is so corrupted that I can't recover the files? or should I leave it there as it seems that the waiting period is getting longer and longer.

I would appreciate so much if you help me with this:(

Gava24

#4 Post by Gava24 »

I've tried to do that but it didn't give me option to choose "whole" it went straightaway to the part were I have to choose the destination of the recovered files. Anyway, when the searching began I realized that when the reading sector is in 62..... (the number is too long and I couldn't read everything) instead of going to 63... it goes back to 55.... and it has been in that loop eversince, I tried stopping the process and doing it again but I had the same result, I'm currently using QPhotoRec and it shows me the same issue. So my questions are: is that normal?, my USB is so corrupted that I can't recover the files? or should I leave it there as it seems that the waiting period is getting longer and longer.

I would appreciate so much if you help me with this:(

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

Your description suggests contacting a specialized recovery company.

The only thing you could still try is to use ddrescue to duplicate the flash drive in question and running Photorec afterwards.