Memory leak?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Recovera

Memory leak?

#1 Post by Recovera »

Hi,

I am trying to recover a 3TB drive from a disk image created with ddrescue. I have already recovered 99.9% of the files with another program which restores files names and folder structure by using the MFT. However, due to the fact that I appear to have a slightly damaged MFT, I need to 'carve' my disk to recover and track down the few remaining files. I am attempting to use Photorec for this purpose.

I am working on an Ubuntu 20.04/Gnome 3 system and reading and writing to two different NTFS partitions during the recovery. Ie, my damaged drive was NTFS and I am saving the files to an NTFS partition.

Your program appears to have a memory leak as the longer it runs, the more sluggish my system becomes until the computer becomes nearly completely unresponsive.

I assume this is a known issue as I found this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9775&p=29975&hilit= ... eak#p29975

I have tried saving the files to an EXT4 partition... however, the result was the same.

Is this the same problem that I am having? Has this been fixed yet?

At the present time, I cannot run a carve to completion. I know I can shut down my system and resume the recovery. Is it safe to do this by simply logging out of Ubuntu (which seems to be the only way I can escape from my unresponsive system) or will I lose the file that Photorec was working on when I exited?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

recuperation

Re: Memory leak?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Which version of the Testdisk package (containing Photorec) do you use?

Please provide a proof for your assumption of a memory leak.
A memory leak is caused by the lack of freeing memory that is not used anymore.

You can check that looking at the process list in linux which shows memory usage as well - I forgot the command as I only use linux rarely for data recovery purposes.

Recovera

#3 Post by Recovera »

I am using the latest stable version, version 7.1. I don't know the command either as I mainly use linux for data recovery too. I will look into it, however and report back. I am NOT CERTAIN this is a memory leak, which is why I am asking if it is known to be one. I am just guessing that this is the problem because it gets progressively worse, the longer Photorec runs and nothing else is running other than the operating system, itself and I can normally leave Ubuntu running for weeks without issue so I don't get what else it could really be...

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Found it searching "task manager linux".
TOP is the command that is typically included in linux distributions.
Otherwise use a search engine.