Android SD Card Directories "gone"

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
JustHappened

Android SD Card Directories "gone"

#1 Post by JustHappened »

So I took a short video with a Galaxy S9, it was customarily saved on my 64 GB SD card. Then I decided to add text. An Update of the proprietary video editor was suggested - so I did this, finished the job and then wanted to move a scanned file from the Internal Storage of the phone to the SD card but couldn't find the respective directory. There were all in all 4 directories left:
- Android ~ with 3 directories
- DCIM ~ Camera [its contents incomplete]
- LOST.DIR [No Files]
- RW_LIB [No Files]

Storage Check shows under a GB of 64 GB of data is currently used on the SD card.

Where have all the mp3, pdf, jpg, and mp4 files gone? Some 32 GB of carefully organized, but not likewise elsewhere carefully saved data is not showing...

I installed PhotoRec for Win 64 on my notebook, connected my Android to the same; it showed with both Phone Storage and SD Storage in File Manager - but not in PhotoRec. There, under "Please select a media to recover from" I could only choose from a list of 5: D [Unknown]; 1 P EFI-System; 2 P MS Reserved; 4 P Windows Recovery Env - or use the drop-down list "Add a raw disk image..." and there the Phone and its SD card does show, but doesn't want to load into the program. Maybe because this option will "open" individual Files only, but not directories or drives. Though all I have to offer is the directories I am left with. But the SD card is not considered a drive to check for missing/corrupted files, apparently.

Anybody to help? Any use for hope to recover the data? - And no - I don't have a cloud back up...

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Android SD Card Directories "gone"

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Connect your SD card to your computer via a card reader instead of via your phone.