PhotoRec to parse from a ZLIB Stream

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
GreySlater

PhotoRec to parse from a ZLIB Stream

#1 Post by GreySlater »

Hello together

as PhotoRec can't parse directly from a "broken" Acronis Backup TIB archive file I was able to "convert" my TIB file into a ZLIB stream file.
  • what's my best option with this ZLIB stream file in the first place to ensure PhotoRec can get the most out of it
I highly want to appreciate the effort of work done in PhotoRec and it's file type recognition - this said I could carve out the ZLIB stream with foremost but I'm missing the ability to get "correct" and working files when working only with the option to identify a file by its header

Thank you
Last edited by GreySlater on 31 May 2020, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: PhotoRec to parse from a ZLIB Stream

#2 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec doesn't work on stream. You have to decompress the stream (zlib-flate -uncompress), create a file with the output and run photorec on this file.

GreySlater

Re: PhotoRec to parse from a ZLIB Stream

#3 Post by GreySlater »

Thank you @cgrenier

I decompressed everything into one file but was not sure which file extension I should use. I went with RAW

For comparison I made this with a "good" TIB archive were I backed up multiple known files (GIF, JPG, PNG, SNT, SQLITE, PDF) but qphotorec_win.exe has a hard time finding only one PDF and one GIF

how can I help PhotoRec