Unallocated non partition 2TB External HDD recovery

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
shoaibali1989

Re: Unallocated non partition 2TB External HDD recovery

#11 Post by shoaibali1989 »

Now i am on DMDE and when i search for parameters so i got LBA0 errors i didn't click on update cause of some warnings i click ignore all so its working like that maybe its getting hard disk parameters.

shoaibali1989

#12 Post by shoaibali1989 »

Dear the first search is completed so quickly but after that i run full scan as below:

shoaibali1989

#13 Post by shoaibali1989 »

BitterColdSoul wrote: 10 Oct 2020, 09:05 Hi,
TestDisk seems to be excruciatingly slow. Doesn't seem normal. First thing to check would be the SMART status, with something like CrystalDiskInfo or HDTune. If either of those softwares fails to report the SMART status for that drive, or recognize it altogether, you won't be able to fix it by yourself. If the SMART status reports abnormal values, like many “reallocated sectors” or “pending sectors”, things are looking slightly better, but your chances of successful recovery as a beginner are rather low.
If the SMART status is normal (“good” in CrystalDiskInfo), then you could try opening the device with DMDE, which should be really quick if there's no serious issue. I've had a situation once where a 2TB drive was, likewise, no longer recognized after a few months of inactivity, TestDisk could not fix it, DMDE showed that three important MFT records were corrupted, so, after a safety recovery, and some in-depth research about the structure of MFT records, I went on to attempt an in-place fix, and succeeded, but that was quite advanced stuff...
One possibility with external drives is that some models are encrypted at the USB controller level, and when plugged outside of their enclosure their contents won't be accessible -- but you would have mentioned something it, I suppose, if there was something wrong with the enclosure and you had to plug it another way this time.
this is the log file i got after full scan on DMDE
Attachments
fullscan.zip
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

shoaibali1989

#14 Post by shoaibali1989 »

I think the LBA 0 is a bad sector now cause DMDE is also not able to find MBR. When i started DMDE full scan so it shows me this below error

from LBA0 to LBA3906963455

Don't know how i can recover my data from this disk

BitterColdSoul

#15 Post by BitterColdSoul »

This is really strange, normally with a HDD having such a clean “bill of health” there should be no such issue as “I/O errors”. I have no idea what it means. You could ask at forum.hddguru.com with the same explanations and screenshots. I have read several threads lately related to somewhat similar issues with Western Digital 2TB external HDDs, don't know if it's a coincidence, or if a particular series of those drives is plagued with a common issue. Indeed it's somewhat similar to the issue exposed in this thread, in which I pointed to that one.