Photorec not finding files anymore.

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
GaspardNicolle

Photorec not finding files anymore.

#1 Post by GaspardNicolle »

I had a problem with a .odt which was corrupted so I tried to get previous files back. I launched Photorec (from testdisk 7-1 download), selected the whole disk with only zip files (to get the .odt). It rapidly stuck at only 127 files found. I tried it a second time and this time it got suck at 130. Right now it's not finding files anymore after i have reboot my computer and tried with both 7.2 and 7.1 versions.
I've seen a previous post and a reply on the se type of problem saying that I should try running "cmd" then type "chkdsk/fd:" (don't remember if it's exactly that but I did it with the right orthograph and trying also to replace d: by c: as the file was on Windows C:) but it tells me "Paramètre non valide - /fd:" (invalid parameter).
Also I am not the best in informatic so please don't be too abstract I would really appreciate.
I thank you in advance.

recuperation

Re: Photorec not finding files anymore.

#2 Post by recuperation »

How big is your whole partition? Did you enable the brute force mode?

GaspardNicolle

#3 Post by GaspardNicolle »

Well it's 500go I guess (I have 501 go occupied on my harddisk).
But now I'm using Qphotorec (is it less likely tou find my file?) and it's finding files (right now 625 for 25%)... but the first 130 files found were different than in the previous searches. Will it found them later? Is it normal ?
I'm trying to find an old version of a .odt file, it already found old versions of some .odt (that I'm not searching for unfortunately). Is it likely that I found it in the last 76% of the analysis?
For previous searches on my harddisk I don't know if i used bruteforce but I did'nt change the settings on that part (so I guess that yes).
I'm sorry for all these questions I'm really desesperated about that file corruption.

GaspardNicolle

#4 Post by GaspardNicolle »

No it wasn't activated.
It's Paranoid: Yes (Brute force disabled)

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

When using PhotoRec or QPhotoRec, the destination where are written the files must be different than the source filesystem. I.e. if you are recovering files from D:, it's OK to write files on C:, but it's not OK to write them to D:.
Have you written new files on the source ?

GaspardNicolle

#6 Post by GaspardNicolle »

Ok so I'm recovering files from C: (they were on my desktop). So you say I must put my recup_dir (where it recovers the files) on another drive (like a USB or something else)am I right?
I guess I have written new files on C: because my recup_dir is on C:. To be sure to recover a previous save from the .odt that is now corrupted I must put my recup_dir on an other memory drive (like USB)?

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

The rule is not to write the recovery results to your search area.

If you are recovering from the C:-partition you can save to any other location, like D:, E: etc...
Those partitions D:, E: etc may even be located on the same drive.
Using another drive for saving the recovered files is faster when you are recovering from a HDD (a drive with rotating platters, not an SDD), because you would reduce head movements.

If you are recovering from the whole drive you would need to save to a location on a different drive.