Will this really take 1 year to restore?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
slowcloud

Will this really take 1 year to restore?

#1 Post by slowcloud »

Hi, all!

I'm new to this, and I am looking for support as I work to use PhotoRec to restore files from a corrupted hard disk (I'm mostly looking for 4 years of photos and videos I had), and I mean support for my spirit!

I had the restore running overnight, and it still has thousands of hours to go. Based on my math and how the hours are moving, will this really take a year?

Also, I see the creation of several numbered folders entitled "recup.dir1," etc. Can I enter these folders and begin deleting what I don't want? I don't want to run out of space on this hard drive, as it is smaller than the corrupted one. So far it's created 5 folders and there's nothing that I want to save from there. The images that are there look like they're my browser history.

Any advice and support is appreciated. I'm a complete amateur at this and don't even know what all these extensions mean.

Thanks!

recuperation

Re: Will this really take 1 year to restore?

#2 Post by recuperation »

slowcloud wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 19:15 Hi, all!

I'm new to this, and I am looking for support as I work to use PhotoRec to restore files from a corrupted hard disk (I'm mostly looking for 4 years of photos and videos I had), and I mean support for my spirit!

I had the restore running overnight, and it still has thousands of hours to go. Based on my math and how the hours are moving, will this really take a year?
Physical dammage of sectors may slow down Photorec. Use Crystaldiskinfo or better smartmoontools to get information about possible drive problems. In case of drive problems use ddrescue to duplicate the drive. The last step is to run Photorec on the duplicated drive. Do not use the brute force option for hard drives within Photorec.
Also, I see the creation of several numbered folders entitled "recup.dir1," etc. Can I enter these folders and begin deleting what I don't want? I don't want to run out of space on this hard drive, as it is smaller
Usually you would use a recovery drive that is at least as big as the defective one.
than the corrupted one. So far it's created 5 folders and there's nothing that I want to save from there. The images that are there look like they're my browser history.
You can already start deleting the content of the recup.dir[x]-folders.

slowcloud

#3 Post by slowcloud »

Thanks, recuperation!

It's down to 12 days left now, but its created 10,697 recup folders. I don't see myself going through each one of those. Your mention of ddrescue actually dublicating the drive sounds like a much better plan for me, so I will stop this and do that. Besides the space where the new SSD is located is now starting to feel hot because indeed, I do believe I used brute force.

slowcloud

#4 Post by slowcloud »

recuperation wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 23:33
slowcloud wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 19:15 Use Crystaldiskinfo or better smartmoontools to get information about possible drive problems. In case of drive problems use ddrescue to duplicate the drive.
I am finally noticing key files are on this drive I want. I am going to try this. I know there are drive problems based on an error I recall getting when plugging the drive in. Since that's the case, can I just start with ddrescue?

Will that alone restore my drive or is running photorec essential to the process?

Thanks!

24.2.2021 21:16 MEZ: Failed quoting modified by recuperation

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

slowcloud wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 19:10 I am finally noticing key files are on this drive I want. I am going to try this. I know there are drive problems based on an error I recall getting when plugging the drive in. Since that's the case, can I just start with ddrescue?

Will that alone restore my drive or is running photorec essential to the process?
ddrescue prevents degeneration of failing drives by duplicating it's content somewhere else to a supposedly healthy place.
Photorec is stressing a drive because sectors can be read more than one time.

ddrescue does not restore anything it conserves.

slowcloud

#6 Post by slowcloud »

Might there be a program that actually repairs the sectors on a bad hard drive so you can access files again?

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

No.