newbie needs help installing testdisk

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kawimo13

newbie needs help installing testdisk

#1 Post by kawimo13 »

i'm using a 32 bit computer (2012 mac pro), running high sierra. HFS+
i have a start up drive, which works fine thank goodness, a data drive, a back up drive (time machine), and an old external maxtor drive which has some back up on it. the data drive and the external drive failed and time machine won't give snapshots of the failed drive. time machine drive had failed, but i was able to reformat it, and it's working.
disk utility sees the data drive, but the file structure is damaged and it will not repair without overwriting the files i want to recover. first aid doesn't work. cloning shows the first level of file folders, but nothing inside of most. the disk utility messages are that b tree is damaged and PID is 0 so drive cannot be unmounted. i'm hoping testdisk will be able to repair the structure so that i can recover files somehow.
i've downloaded x-code 9.4.1 (compatible with high sierra) and test disk 7.2 wip. i think i have command line tools for x-code installed. this is all new to me.
however i'm not a developer and have no idea how to install test drive from here. i've read the manual and homebrew is for 64 bit computers. i've gone to tigerbrew, but the page is totally confusing to me -- it refers to much older OS, leopard and tiger, and has a page with myriad "options" that i don't understand, i don't know what to download, and don't understand relationships between ruby, github and tigerbrew.
Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. thank you.