cannot run executable file in linux root Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jefhon

cannot run executable file in linux root

#1 Post by jefhon »

hi.
im trying to run photorec from a terminal in ubuntu and getting nowhere. every command i try i get either "command not found" or "no such file or directory." i am root and still cannot run the program.

note: i am running from a machine with what i am 90+ % certain has bad sectors on disk. i installed ubuntu from external drive & have an active desktop session going but i'm not sure if it is running from the external drive or from the internal drive (which is most probably bad in parts). the install did not complete successfully.

any help with this is appreciated!

jefhon

recuperation

Re: cannot run executable file in linux root

#2 Post by recuperation »

Don not install software on suspected broken drives.
Boot from a live linux edition like Gparted, Knoppix or others and run Testdisk and Photorec from there.

jefhon

#3 Post by jefhon »

ok thanks. i will do that & report back whether success or fail. at any rate, i am confident that will work. i have about 80GB of music that i know i can recover so you can imagine the cost, not to mention the personal value of such a collection.

i also was trying to run photorec from gparted on external and couldnt get into root su mode. but i know how to do that now so it should work. thanks again.

'jefhon'

jefhon

#4 Post by jefhon »

ok so i have photorec running successfully in a gparted terminal but now i cannot make heads or tails of the destination directories. im what many of you would probably classify as novice to intermediate user but wtf are all these drwr-xr-x named directories? and which column is the directory size? (unfortunately i cannot use qphotorec for simpler use as the machine in question is now linux-based).

i realize this may seem like asking a lot but any help on this is appreciated. i have 3 external drives connected to the damaged machine with files i'm trying to recover. i just can't make sense of the destination directory lists to find the right drive (a Toshiba 1 TB ssd). this drive is mounted i'm pretty sure because i can see it fine in gparted and the mount function is grey/disabled when i rigth-click on it in gparted.

TIA for any assistance. and fwiw i searched high & low on the support documentation and these forums for help on this and found nothing helpful.

jefhon

update: i figured it out. disregard this post & thanks anyways and thanks for the help so far! i will let you know if i get the files/music successfully.