Photorec treating drive as encrypted when it's not

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
ericiscool

Re: Photorec treating drive as encrypted when it's not

#11 Post by ericiscool »

I think I tried that but will try again and post the log for it when it is completed. I do remember that when the image.dd was finished being created it said there were "read errors."

Also, I could not get the smartmontools to work yet but I used something called CrystalDiskInfo. I've posted a screenshot of those results below.
Attachments
disk.PNG
disk.PNG (60.23 KiB) Viewed 1483 times

ericiscool

#12 Post by ericiscool »

I think I tried that but will try again and post the log for it when it is completed. I do remember that when the image.dd was finished being created it said there were "read errors."

Also, I could not get the smartmontools to work yet but I used something called CrystalDiskInfo. I've posted a screenshot of those results below.
Attachments
disk.PNG
disk.PNG (60.23 KiB) Viewed 1482 times

ericiscool

#13 Post by ericiscool »

I'm trying to run testdisk on the image.dd by opening the directory with the image.dd and running cmd "testdisk_win.exe image.dd". This starts the process but I notice it does not give the option to create a log this way.

Is there a way to analyze the image.dd after opening testdisk normally by double clicking the exe? All I see is the option to select physical drives, no images.

recuperation

#14 Post by recuperation »

ericiscool wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 23:56 I'm trying to run testdisk on the image.dd by opening the directory with the image.dd and running cmd "testdisk_win.exe image.dd". This starts the process but I notice it does not give the option to create a log this way.

Is there a way to analyze the image.dd after opening testdisk normally by double clicking the exe? All I see is the option to select physical drives, no images.
I don't know unfortunately.
You probably have to pass everything by the command line, as explained here:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Scripted_run

ericiscool

#15 Post by ericiscool »

Well, I couldn't figure out any way to analyze image.dd AND generate a log. I'm running the scan again on image.dd anyway, but based on current progress and past results, it may take up to a day before this is completed. I will plan to post screen shots of the results when it's done, as I doubt a log will be available.

In the meantime, I have used another program to look at SMART results. I'm not sure if there is physical damage to the drive. I'm following the instructions from this article http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to- ... l%20damage.

Attached are the latest SMART results.
Attachments
WDC_WD20EARX-00PASB0_WD-WMAZA5618068_2021-03-20.txt
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

recuperation

#16 Post by recuperation »

With 304 pending (unreadable) sectors your drive is about to die.

ericiscool

#17 Post by ericiscool »

Interesting. I no longer have the drive powered on and am just working from the image. Speaking of that, TestDisk has been analyzing the image.dd since around 6pm yesterday and is only still at 70%. Don't know if this is normal and I should let it continue, or if these attempts are futile...

Also, would you know if a professional data recovery service would still be a viable option at this point?
Attachments
TestDiskImage.DD.PNG
TestDiskImage.DD.PNG (15.19 KiB) Viewed 1441 times