Use photorec to recover deleted images from digital camera internal memory gphoto2

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
pcarqefa

Use photorec to recover deleted images from digital camera internal memory gphoto2

#1 Post by pcarqefa »

Trying to see if photorec can help me here but not having any luck. I plugged an old digital camera in to see what photos I could recover off it. photorec doesn't see it as a drive. it mounts as a camera where i can see a file folder of the storage, appears to go to /run/user/1000/gvfs/
Is there a way to point photorec just at that to scan the internal memory of the digital camera to recover photos? Or is there some other way to do it via linux?

recuperation

Re: Use photorec to recover deleted images from digital camera internal memory gphoto2

#2 Post by recuperation »

Remove the storage from your camera and put it into a card reader. If that fails under Windows use Linux.

pcarqefa

Re: Use photorec to recover deleted images from digital camera internal memory gphoto2

#3 Post by pcarqefa »

I don't think you can remove the internal storage to a digital camera, can you? I'm talking about the built-in storage of the camera itself, not like a SD card you pop in and out of the camera easily to put into a card reader.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Got it, thank you!

I have a Garmin GPS 60CSX device. If I connect it to my computer running Windows XP it is just connected. If I set it to storage device in the Garmin Menu, the device exposes the MicroSD-card as a storage device towards Windows. It does not expose it's own memory, though.

In your case I would try out if your camera behaves differently under linux. I don't think so, but would like to rule out that this option is available.
You would need a trick to make you camera expose it's memory - if that is possible at all, maybe the camera firmware is running in that memory?

Otherwise you are only left with a professional recovery lab, I think.
Sorry. I can only deliver guessing and speculation.

pcarqefa

#5 Post by pcarqefa »

It does mount on my linux machine on the desktop and I can see there's no files on it now, as it opens like a folder. appears to be mounted as gphoto2://cameraname which then translates to a folder under /run/user/1000/gvfs it looks like. Is there a way to trick photorec to just try to recover from that path which would actually be the camera?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

pcarqefa wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 14:12 It does mount on my linux machine on the desktop and I can see there's no files on it now, as it opens like a folder. appears to be mounted as gphoto2://cameraname which then translates to a folder under /run/user/1000/gvfs it looks like. Is there a way to trick photorec to just try to recover from that path which would actually be the camera?
I don't know.
You could try on the command line to see how photorec reacts.
You could search for new block device using lsblk p.e.

pcarqefa

#7 Post by pcarqefa »

I guess that's where I get stuck, as this is my first time using photorec so have no idea how to do that. I know how to run the interactive photorec but that only lets you pick an entire drive.

recuperation

#8 Post by recuperation »

Photorec needs to address the entire device, nothing less.

pcarqefa

#9 Post by pcarqefa »

OK. I'll have to do some Googleing to see if there's a way to just mount a camera as a device then. or will see if someone with a Windows machine can try it.