Recovering files within a corrupted archive?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
magnetite

Recovering files within a corrupted archive?

#1 Post by magnetite »

Is it possible to recover files from within a corrupted 7zip, zip, or other archive type? I also have an Easeus backup file which is corrupted and I am not able to open it. It's a PBD file, but it seems that if I mount a good one, it appears as a volume shadow copy. Not sure what format that is or whether Photorec can recover those.

In addition, if a file is found within an archive and is compressed, if I recover it, will it be uncompressed before I put the file in the archive?

Thanks

recuperation

Re: Recovering files within a corrupted archive?

#2 Post by recuperation »

magnetite wrote: 13 May 2021, 21:52 Is it possible to recover files from within a corrupted 7zip, zip, or other archive type?
If the files inside the archive are not compressed, Photorec can identify the file headers. I had this experience with jpg's 12 years ago.
I also have an Easeus backup file which is corrupted and I am not able to open it. It's a PBD file, but it seems that if I mount a good one, it appears as a volume shadow copy. Not sure what format that is or whether Photorec can recover those.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRe ... le_formats

In addition, if a file is found within an archive and is compressed, if I recover it, will it be uncompressed before I put the file in the archive?
This is totally incomprehensible for me!

magnetite

#3 Post by magnetite »

Kind of wondering how to phrase this. When you add files to an archive and create it, programs like 7zip, WinZip and such add extra compression to the archive, such as LZMA2. If the archive file itself is compressed with LZMA2 or other archive compression, does this lower the recovery chances?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Read the answer above.