Oversize recovery 3dm file

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bubiB

Oversize recovery 3dm file

#1 Post by bubiB »

Hello everyone,

i'm tring to recovery some .3dm files from an internal SSD of a laptop after an accidental deletion. i'm on Windows 10 and i'm using photorec_win 7.2 WIP (not q) and i'm recovering only .3dm files from whole partition.
The internal SSD is 1 TB, and the partition with data is about 950GB, The rescue files are going to be saved in an esternal HDD with about 1.3TB free.
I don't know why but the recovery files are oversized: until now i found 201 items, from 100MB to 20GB each. Now it's processing the 201st item and the weight is over 400GB (keeg growing) and i never use files that weight like that. it's a brand new laptop (almost 3 months) and the free space are 750GB. the 201 elements was found about 600000000 sector, now the research is on the 1300000000 sector and the total of sectors are 1900000000. maybe there is some kind of bug with this specific format?

sorry for my bad english, tell me if you need/want more information.
Hope someone can help me.
Thanks

recuperation

Re: Oversize recovery 3dm file

#2 Post by recuperation »

If you let Photorec search for every format that is supported the fingerprint of other file types will automatically terminate the extension of an existing 3dm-file that is undergoing processing. That might be a solution to it.

bubiB

#3 Post by bubiB »

I will try, thank you!

bubiB

#4 Post by bubiB »

I'm tring right now and until now i recovered more .3dm files than previosly (calculating the same sectors examined) and with correct weight. that's good!

But now the program is very very slow, the sector counter seems blocked and the extimated time to complete it's growing (at the beginning war 6h, now is 22h)
if i try to "quit", the program not respond immediatly but only after a minute or two.

this is the second try, the first one the program slow down in quite the same position of sector (don't remember exacly), i closed it and disabled antivirus (some recovered file was flagged like a virus). after i restart photorec.
actually the CPU usage is 30% and the ssd is 0-1%.

What do you suggest to do? it's normal? keep it going?

Thank you.
Attachments
Cattura.PNG
Cattura.PNG (71.09 KiB) Viewed 2683 times

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »