Photorec directory wrong folder? Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Deleted User 15499

Re: Directory Fotorec cartella errata?

#11 Post by Deleted User 15499 »

recuperation wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 17:42
MiLord wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 22:04 My question is because i was wrong and did not create the folder in an external drive, as I see it needs to be done, so I ask ...
I don't know if I've done any damage
If you selected by mistake a drive in your computer that was working correctly as a source drive you did not loose anything. Photorec extracts (copies!!!) stuff from your source drive to your traget.
BUT copying means WRITING on the TARGET. If you select your TARGET to be the same as the SOURCE drive writing on the TARGET means writing on the SOURCE drive thus destroying possible information to recover.

And if your defective drive was not recognized by your computer there was no chance to either read or write on this drive.
Thank you very much!
This is the answer I was hoping to get!
So I didn't do any damage and I didn't lose any data. I really thank you for your patience

I was afraid that I damaged my internal Windows hard drive "Windows C : "
Photorec I think extracted the data from "Windows C : ". As I understand it I mistakenly selected "Windows C : " as source and created a Target folder on the desktop which I then deleted
Thanks!!!