Is it possible to start photorec at a particular sector?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Mike314

Is it possible to start photorec at a particular sector?

#1 Post by Mike314 »

I tried to open a jpg file while photorec was writing to the same directory. That caused confusion, and photorec stopped until I provided a new directory to continue. That was hours ago, and although it has scanned millions of sectors since, it hasn't found a single new file. I terminated photorec and will restart it, but rather than starting at the beginning, I'd like to start photorec at a particular sector, specifically at the sector where it last found a file. Is that possible?

In other words, can I supply the number of a sector where photorec should start searching?

recuperation

Re: Is it possible to start photorec at a particular sector?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Normally, when restarting Photorec and you have a unfinished recovery session you are being asked if you want to continue the previous session.

Otherwise do the following:

Please interrupt your running Photorec application.
Modify the file named "photorec.ses" in the Testdisk folder with a text editor. There is a line similar to the following example:

\\.\PhysicalDrive0 partition_i386,1,blocksize,512,fileopt,options,paranoid,keep_corrupted_file_no,wholespace,search,status=ext2_off,3784777

Please modify the last number marked red accordingly and restart Photorec.