How to Create a custom signature dedicated for minecraft

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
flamingechoes

How to Create a custom signature dedicated for minecraft

#1 Post by flamingechoes »

I've read this that Explains on how to create your own file extension but It didn't help what I have to do with making photorec.sig. I am running on Windows 7 Home Premium. and I am having trouble figuring out how to do it. I am trying to make my own extension that can recover Minecraft .schematic files. Do I have to use command prompt in order for this to work and what code would I need to make my own file extension? I'm trying to find some of my lost schematics for minecraft. I might do this to other file extensions "That photorec doesn't even have on the list."

If I find the information helpful, than I might make a video on YouTube dedicated to what I post on this forum to help my supporters aswell. :roll:

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: How to Create a custom signature dedicated for minecraft

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Can you post a zip archive with a few file samples ? I will try to create the signature.

flamingechoes

#3 Post by flamingechoes »

cgrenier wrote:Can you post a zip archive with a few file samples ? I will try to create the signature.
I just uploaded an Attachment That contains some files I need to recover with photorec. Just to understand a little more about these 3 file extensions I will list them down below.

.Schematic - A save file that can save your minecraft models or anything you've built into a small file. It's runs pretty well with MCedit.
.DRS - A file that can find sounds for games. and can be Extracted with Dragon UnPACKER. I basically converted to a drs and it only has 1 sound because I can't upload anything huge (due to Using T-Mobile 3G internet, which I'm getting broadband in a few days.)
.binvox - a Voxel file that is usually converted from a OBJ file into voxels with no textures but works well for viewvox.

Also I added another .schematic file just in case If you can't use that certain file.

and If you are going to label the file extension. Make sure you call these Extensions what I think Is Recommended for them.
.schematic "Minecraft Schematic File"
.DRS "II Archive"
.binvox "Binvox Voxel File"

I basically want 3 extensions to be recovered. basically mostly minecraft and the .drs for getting sounds that I want to find from a certain game. and use them on my computer for other reasons.

Again, thanks for doing this. I will promise to give you credit once they are recovered. I also have to say Photorec is my most favorite free file recovery program. Props to you for making the program. :)
Attachments
Photorec Samples.zip
File Samples
(82.27 KiB) Downloaded 542 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Can you post at 2 more file samples for each file format ?
- .DRS "II Archive"
- .binvox "Binvox Voxel File"
No need for .schematic

flamingechoes

#5 Post by flamingechoes »

cgrenier wrote:Can you post at 2 more file samples for each file format ?
- .DRS "II Archive"
- .binvox "Binvox Voxel File"
No need for .schematic
Actually, don't worry about the drs because I am getting broadband in 2 days. so I can get the file easier. but for binvox here are 2 more files.
Attachments
binvox samples.zip
Samples for Binvox
(20.07 KiB) Downloaded 459 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#6 Post by cgrenier »

I have uploaded a new 6.14-WIP that handle
Can you try it ?

flamingechoes

#7 Post by flamingechoes »

cgrenier wrote:I have uploaded a new 6.14-WIP that handle
Can you try it ?
Sure. I did see the binvox extension there. I am wondering what is a Windows Migration backup file (.mig)? because It seems to be checked and I wanted to know what it is?

also I don't know If it's my computer but I couldn't find the .schematic on the File info list. I will try to edit this post. once how binvox files are being recovered and how viewvox is viewing them.

EDIT: I recovered some .binvox files and imported them into viewvox hey seemed to work fine. there has been files that we're the size of 1GB. since their regular size is around 1-100KB but I realize they can be corrupt or They need to be converted to a smaller size. But I didn't recover all of the binvox files yet but I will later.

Thank You, This should also help some people who have lost their binvox files. Once the Schematic works. It will be Even better so I can find some of my missing MCedit projects I might have lost. Other people who plays minecraft will be proud if they accidently lost their schematic files. like I do.

I am planning on giving a shoutout blog and Videos later on so people will know that Photorec is one of my most favorite Programs. :)

cgrenier
Site Admin

#8 Post by cgrenier »

Windows Migration backup file (.mig) are created by Microsoft Windows Easy Transfer
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... y-transfer

.schematic files are recovered by the gz file familly.