Photorec keeps jumping back several millions of sectors all the time (running as part of QRescue) Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
prof

Re: Photorec keeps jumping back several millions of sectors all the time (running as part of QRescue)

#11 Post by prof »

recuperation wrote: 13 Nov 2022, 10:09 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Do not use self-created abbreviations. B is not a valid prefix when talking about storage. Furthermore, a billion is 1.000.000.000 in the United States whereas one billion in Europe is 1.000.000.000.000.
If you are talking about a billion bytes this can either correspond to 1 TB or 1 GB.
It's referring to the number of sectors, so means a thousand millions in this case. It's not storage, so it's a normal base 10 number. The old UK "billion" is not used anywhere in English communication even in Europe now, the US version is the widely adopted term when communicating in English. (I know that it's different for other European languages, my native language is just like that.) Anyways, I also did a conversion in my starting post, so I hoped it was clear. Sorry if it was confusing.
prof wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 03:34 That's 200M (0.2B) sector progress for these last 5 days altogether

prof

Re: Photorec keeps jumping back several millions of sectors all the time (running as part of QRescue)

#12 Post by prof »

Just wanted to provide an update. There were no more slowdowns, so finished with the remaining region from sectors 3.4 billion to the end (5.8 billion) in about 1.5 days. (Created around an additional 400GB data.)
Not sure what was the deal with that particular 210 million sectors that had to be worked on for around 6 days... During that time only 16 folders had been created with 20GB.